There are a lot of Museums in the world. But which are the most popular? The most visited? The most Instagrammed? We did some research and found the answer to all of these questions. The most visited museums in the world, according to annual attendance figures:
The Louvre in Paris is the world’s most visited museum, with 10.2 million visitors in 2018. This is followed by the Vatican Museums, in Italy, with 6.8 million visitors. In third place is the National Museum of China in Beijing, with 6.7 million visitors. The top three are then Followed by the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York and The British Museum in London
Here we take the opportunity to look at each of the museums in more detail.
The Lourve, Paris, France
The Louvre is one of the most visited museums in the world, and it’s no wonder why. Located in the heart of Paris, the Louvre is home to some of the most famous works of art in history, including the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo. With over 35,000 works of art spanning centuries, there really is something for everyone at the Louvre whether you are an art lover or not.
The Louvre is also a popular tourist destination for its architecture. The museum is located in the Louvre Palace, a former royal palace that was built in the 12th century. The Palace is a work of art in itself, and its massive size is impressive to see.
If you’re ever in Paris, then be sure to add the Louvre to your list of things to do. It’s an experience you won’t soon forget.
The Vatican Museums, The Vatican, Italy
The Vatican Museums located in the Vatican, Rome are some of the most famous museums in the world. They attract millions of visitors each year, who come to see the incredible art and artefacts on display. There are a total of 13 museums in the Vatican Museums complex, each with its own unique collection. Therefore you may be asking yourself which are the must-sees? Here is a quick rundown of the most popular Vatican Museums:
- The Sistine Chapel: This is one of the most popular attractions in the Vatican Museums. The Sistine Chapel is home to the incredible ceiling frescoes by Michelangelo.
- The Vatican Museums: The Vatican Museums are a vast complex of museums, containing many different collections. Visitors can see everything from ancient Egyptian artefacts to renaissance art.
- The Raphael Rooms: The Raphael Rooms are a series of four rooms decorated with frescoes by the Italian artist Raphael.
The National Museum of China, Beijing, China
The National Museum of China in Beijing is one of the most visited museums in the world. With over 10 million visitors each year. Therefore, it’s no wonder that this museum is a top destination for tourists from all over the globe.
The National Museum of China is home to a wide variety of exhibitions, including the hugely popular Terracotta Warriors exhibition. This world-famous display features over 8,000 life-size statues of soldiers, horses, and chariots that were buried with the First Emperor of China in 210 BC.
Therefore, if you’re planning a trip to Beijing, be sure to add the National Museum of China to your itinerary. You’ll be glad you did!
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, USA
The Metropolitan Museum of Art (The Met) in New York is one of the largest and most famous museums in the world. It houses a vast collection of art and artefacts from all over the globe and is a must-see for anyone interested in art and history.
Here are some of the reasons why you should visit the Metropolitan Museum of Art:
- To see the world’s largest collection of Egyptian art, including the Temple of Dendur
- To view paintings by some of the most famous artists in history, including Leonardo da Vinci, Rembrandt, and Vincent van Gogh
- To admire the museum’s extensive collection of classical sculptures
- To learn about the cultures of different cultures through the museum’s extensive anthropology collection
- To experience the Met’s famous roof garden, which offers stunning views of Central Park and the New York skyline.
- To learn about the history and culture of countries from around the world.
- To take a break from the hustle and bustle of New York City
The British Museum, London, England
The British Museum is one of the most famous museums in the world, and for good reason. It’s packed with historical artefacts from all over the globe. Also, the best part – it is free to visit. So, if you’re planning a trip to London, make sure to add the British Museum to your list of must-sees.
The British Museum is located in the Bloomsbury area of London, and it’s easy to get to by public transportation. The nearest tube station is Tottenham Court Road. Once you’re there, you can spend hours exploring all the different exhibits. And if you get hungry, there’s a cafe on-site so you can refuel before heading back out into the city. The British Museum is open from 10:00 am to 5:30 pm every day.